Thursday, February 7, 2013

My Favorite Color


(Image belongs to Buck Shreck)


Blue is one of my favorite colors. According to ScienceDaily, blue color actually boost creativity. I've always love blue color, especially the light blue, because I feel that blue color does not really stand out as compared to other colors like red or yellow, or even green sometimes. I'm a person who doesn't like to get attention as I feel awkward and uncomfortable when attention is directed at me. Thus, when I buy my clothes, I try to look out for blue-colored clothing as I don't want to stand out or attract attention. 

Besides that, I also love to go to seaside and beach to watch sunset and observe the surrounding. However, as I look deeper, I realize that I love going to the seaside and beach because I like the calmness that I feel when I'm there. I think the blue waters and the blue skies often made me feel a kind of inner peace I longed for. I cannot find this feeling in the busy city life. In his study about color psychology, Connor said that blue does make one feel calmer and experience serenity. The truth is, I had never paid attention to the waters and skies but without realising, the eyes captured the color of my surrounding - mostly the skies and seawaters both in blue color - and thus, leaving me to experience the calmness that I unknowingly desire. In my city life, I don't take time off to observe the skies due to the hectic lifestyle. It is only when I took time off, I realised that we all need this serenity inside us to feel really good and peaceful.

Just like in the image above, the Yellowstone Coyote seems very calm and composed even in the winter snow. This is the effect or the feeling that blue color carries. Had the background been a different color, it would have brought out a different effect or feeling on the Yellowstone Coyote - perhaps the Yellowstone Coyote may look like an angry creature ready to prowl on a victim, as it watched from a far.

On one hand, blue may carry the positive connotations like serenity, peace and harmony, blue can also carry negative connotations like depression, coldness and even obscenity. If we look again at the image above, we may also think that the Yellowstone Coyote seems to be left alone and feel lonely. Due to the dark blue background the place that the Yellowstone Coyote was in seems to be a very wide and open space. This only brings out more impact and emphasis on its loneliness since it's the only living creature found in the picture.

From the study of colors, I think I can conclude that colors gives different perspective. At the end of the day, it depends on how we see things around us - whether or not we pay attention to details like colors, we obtain meaning from our surrounding based on our visual and color enhances the impact and perception of how we see things.








No comments:

Post a Comment